Subscribe to far-flung places
Sign up here
and receive email alerts when this blog is updated.

 Add to your RSS reader

Friday, August 25, 2006

Theater in the Round

This is my last post from across the pond. The sun has set on what was a glorious final day in London.

We started at the street markets along Portabello Road in Notting Hill. Despite just having had breakfast, I couldn't resist a cupcake at the Hummingbird Bakery.

And finally, our day ended in Shakespeare's Globe Theater where we saw The Comedy of Errors. The acting was splendid (yes, I'm adopting English phrases). The open-air theater, which opened in 1991, is a faithful replica of the original theater located not far from where it now stands.

Speaking of standing, we were groundlings--we had $10 standing-room only tickets. On one hand, we were right in front of the stage, and on the other, we had to stand the entire show. Luckily it was only an hour and a half long. Plus, it was a comedy, which I quite enjoyed. Anyone who knows me knows I dislike the tragedies tremendously--having been dragged to all of them at least once during my ten-year marriage.

So, as the evening draws to a close on our last day in jolly ol' England, I am pleased to say this has been a great anniversary trip. I just hope the security situation at the airport tomorrow morning doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth.

And for those of you waiting for photos, I will post a few once I am home.

CHEERS!

No comments: