Here's something I've been saying all along, and today it made the headlines in the Travel Daily News: "International travel need not be costly, says travel agents."
The American Society of Travel Agents (ASTA), which recently surveyed its members about the best budget friendly international destinations, found that the following places are the cheapest:
1. Cancun, Mexico. Its close proximity to the U.S., a multitude of all-inclusive offerings, a favorable exchange rate and affordable airfare all contributed to its top ranking.
2. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic. Inexpensive package deals make Punta Cana a low-cost destination.
3. London, England. Reasonable airfare and plenty of hotel rooms that fit any budget helped London make the cut.
4. Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. Although Puerto Vallarta was cited as being “cheaper than other Mexican cities,” the destination came in at number four.
5. Bangkok, Thailand. This destination may be on the other side of the world, but it has an exchange rate, strong value for the dollar and shopping.